Friday, May 21, 2010

Kindergarten vs. First Grade

When I was in kindergarten I remember the hardest thing I had to remember was my address. I recited my address all the way to school. Lucky for me the path to school was at least a three block radius from the street(long blocks). We had a crossing guard and her name was Josie. When you crossed the street there were I think three small buildings that were a day care, then the LONG path.

Again, I remember walking with my mom and reciting over and over 527 N. Col. de las Magnolias Los Angeles, Ca. (I am not certain about the zip code now in my old age I was 5 after all).

Avery and I have had similar conversations as we walk to the bus stop. This morning he decided that he would not have his morning dose of television, instead he was going to recite his spelling words to me. Now here is the kicker. WHEN!? in KINDERGARTEN!? did we decide that 5 and 6 year olds need to learn how to write and spell FAVORITE? That is a big word. Poor little guy he was kind of stressed out this morning. I guess that is good I hope on his end it was self-realization because he did not put in the time he usually does into his studying last night. On top of words like favorite and school he needs to also be able to comprehend singular and plural, "The bugs were fed" "The bugs was fed" circle the right one.

I am counting down to June 18th I too want to celebrate his last day of school but I am not gonna lie I am afraid of what is to come in first grade.

2 comments:

lorena said...

It ain't gonna get any easier....

Unknown said...

Congratulations Avery!
He can now play in the bigger playground?? I think that's how it was set up...